Our breastfeeding experts have helped 100s of local familes reach their breastfeeding goals! In this workshop we will cover breastfeeding concerns and normal behaviour of the breastfed newborn baby. Discussion on the challenges and joys of the first 4-6 weeks of parenthood.
Here's what you will learn in our Breastfeeding class:
- Benefits of Breastfeeding
- Preparation for Breastfeeding
- Breast Changes in Pregnancy
- Anatomy and Physiology of Breastfeeding
- Early Feedings: Positioning and Latch
- Frequency and Duration of Feedings
- “Signs” that Baby is Getting Enough
- Maternal Nutrition
- Pumping, Storing, and Bottle-feeding
- Breastfeeding Beyond the First Six Months
The "Fourth" trimester - bringing home baby :
- Normal Newborn Characteristics Baby Communication- baby cues; hungry, tired, too hot, too cold, over/under stimulated Feeding - what's normal, what's not Sleeping - Safe sleeping guidelines for optimal sleep (for everyone) Baby’s Temperament Different Parenting Styles.
- Crying and Calming
- Sanity/Self Care for Parents
$40.00 per couple
Preregistration required. Register in-store or online.
Includes a hand out and DVD
Classes run SUNDAY from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. Our next class is Sunday, October 6, 2013.
Sessions run approximately every 4-6 weeks
About the Workshop Leaders
Vesta's breastfeeding counsellors, Shawn and Melanie, have completed the 20-hour Lactation Management course and Beyond the 20 Hour Advanced Practitioner training taught by Dr. Jack Newman and Edith Kernerman of the International Breastfeeding Centre. They attend breastfeeding education sessions each year and have received training from breastfeeding experts Diane Wiessinger, Teresa Pitman, Kathleen Kendall-Tackett, Catherine Watson-Genna, and Ina May Gaskin. They have also breastfed their own children.